Table of contents NEXT button | XM Community
Question

Table of contents NEXT button

• 9 April 2019
  • 9 replies

Are you able to change the text of the next button on the table of contents page?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
All new Blocks have the ability to change the text for just that block:

!
Thanks Kate but what about for the Table of contents page? I have been unable to find that drop down since the TOC is not a block.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Can you show us what you're looking at? What do you mean by table of contents?
Sorry, should have been more specific. I am speaking about the table of contents introduction page. I am hoping to change the text in the next button which appears at the bottom of that page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Right but are you trying to build a survey? Or are you looking at the Qualtrics Research Core? Or are you building a Report? Showing us what you're looking at is gonna help us give you a better answer 🙂

The survey builder has no native way to build a table of contents; so I'm not sure what it is you're looking at if you're in the Survey Platform? And if it is a custom solution that may help the developers help you build what you need.
Kate

I am building a survey and have selected the option to use a Table of Content in my survey flow. One option when using the TOC is the use of an introduction page, which users are directed to, allowing them to navigate between blocks. I have elected to use this intro page in my flow. There is a next button on this page. I am hoping to change that text.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hi @abasore
Go to Look & Feel --> General --> Header --> Click on "edit" -->Switch on html mode and then paste below script in script tag -
<code><script>
document.getElementById("NextButton").value="WHAT?"
</script> </code>
Hello @abasore ,

Paste the below code in the Source view("<>") of the header HTML

<script>
var s = jQuery("div[id='TOCPage']").length;
if(s==1){
jQuery("#NextButton").val("BUTTON TEXT").attr("title","BUTTON TEXT");
}
</script>
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello,
The code provided above works, however, my situation is a bit more complicated and I am hoping someone can help.
In my case, I have buttons that appear at the top and bottom of the survey pages.
Please refer to this image:
image.pngUsing this code...

...I was able to get the upper “next” button to work (the one that says, “SAVE & MOVE FORWARD”), but the button below is still stuck.
I should clarify how my survey is set up. Initially, the survey only had buttons on the bottom, as is the norm with Qualtrics surveys. At that time, I needed the “next” button that appears on the final page to be very clear that it was now the “submit” button and that there was no way to go back. The tricky part is that the final page of my survey is the Response Summary, which cannot have its buttons modified in any built-in way. That’s why I labelled that button to say, “SUBMIT (Final: Once you click this, you CANNOT go back!)”. (That might seem like overkill, but trust me, we needed that!) I then went to all the previous blocks and changed the “next” button to say, “SAVE & MOVE FORWARD”. (This was based on advice I received from Qualtrics Support.)
Some of the pages in our survey are long, so that’s why we wanted to provide previous and next buttons at the top of the page, too. I achieved that through some custom code that I got from the XM Community. That code was placed in Look and feel > General > Header and it looks like this:

So, that brings us to the point where I now need a Table of Contents element and I can’t change what the buttons say there in a built-in way. That’s where the code posted by the previous user comes in. For some reason, the code is working on the buttons that we have appearing at the top of all our pages (which was added with the code I provided above), but it isn’t working on the built-in buttons at the bottom.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this issue?
In case it is relevant, please note that, in the longer code above, there is a portion that prevents the upper “header” buttons from appearing on the Response Summary page.
Thank you for your assistance with this!!!

Leave a Reply