Inline Question with Auto Advance | XM Community
Question

Inline Question with Auto Advance

• 11 April 2019
  • 9 replies

I'm setting up my first survey with an inline question in the email invite. This survey is a very short one, we start off with a CSAT question which is the inline one. If they choose Very Satisfied or Satisfied then the survey is complete. My question is with an inline question will it not take them directly from choosing one of the satisfied's within the email invite to the completed survey page? So far it seems auto advance does not work IF used as an inline question when that's the only question in the survey.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
I'm not sure what you are trying to auto advance with (script?). But there is a timing question type in Qualtrics. You can set auto-advance to 0.1 so that the survey will advance but on a slight delay. I've tested this in Research Core and it is working there.
Trying to use auto advance on an inline question in an email invite. This question in the email invite has logic that can complete the survey. My question is, it is not completing the survey from the inline question. It takes you to the survey and you must hit next to complete the survey.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
In survey editor if you put your Q1 (inline question) and a timing question on the same page where the timing question's auto advance after _ seconds is set to 0.1 instead of 0 then the survey will "click" the next button for your user on that very short 0.1 second delay.

I don't know of any way to use an inline question and not have it be the first page of the survey. But you can use that timing question to do some fast clicking for the respondent.
in Medallia they have a beautiful feature I'm trying to replicate - you answer the question and it auto advances to the next. Page breaks in between allow you to capture partial responses. All I can find in Q is timing, which is frankly an ugly experience if your timing does not align to the customer's reading / processing timing.

Murph
I'm trying to do the same thing. Did you learn how?

Badge +4

+1 rperez4! We have an NPS question inline in the email. The desired behavior is to seamlessly transition the respondent to the next question on the survey page. We us the timing question as a workaround, but it's a terrible UI because it spins a few seconds before the next question finally displays, leading to abandonment. We upgraded to Qualtrics from child company Delighted, who executed this experience beautifully. Please help us out, Qualtrics!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

SarahSoutherland I think you should be able to set up your survey to start with questions other than the one you are including as inline question. This way, when the respondent is moved into the survey after answering the question in the email, they are seeing the rest of the survey. And you can hide the inline question using display logic or survey flow.

Badge +4

InessaG Thanks - I'd love to explore this. Do you have any tips on how to approach either of these options? I tried both display logic for the first question as well as branching in the flow, but couldn't figure out how to set them up without skipping the question completely.

Badge +1

Hey SarahSoutherland ! Were you ever able to make this experience work?

Leave a Reply