Does text analytics include machine learning? | XM Community
Solved

Does text analytics include machine learning?

Badge +2
Hello - need some help getting the most out of text analytics. We have over 8600 employee comments and want to categorize into high-level topics. Trying to use the "recommendations" as a starting point. As we review some of the recommendations, they aren't relevant or misaligned. As we manually remove from the statement, is there "machine learning" updating the logic for future recommendations?

We have the same scenario for sentiment, we have over 2000 statements that are "no comments" (ie,.Nil, NA,-, ..., etc) that have been assigned either a positive or negative sentiment value. As we manually change the assigned sentiment and score, is there "machine learning" behind the scenes updating the logic and associated assignment to other similar statements? Or do I need to manually change all 2000 statements?

Ideally, once we create our topics, we want to download and apply to the next engagement survey versus starting from scratch. We are hoping that there is some "machine learning" that is applied to improve the sentiment and association with new comments. Is that an unrealistic expectation?

Welcome, all and any recommendations for getting the most out of text analytics.

Thank you!
icon

Best answer by JenCX 21 June 2019, 17:50

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I've been told that it does get smarter in your first scenario but I don't believe the machine learning works the way you're hoping in your second scenario.

I work with TextiQ heavily and I've not seen the tool getting smarter within the same survey as I update items. I do have to go through and do them one-by-one but having it update in batches is a dreamy idea. I'd highly suggest putting in a Feature request: I'll be happy to second it!
Badge +2
Thank you for the follow-up! I was afraid of that reality but hoped for a magic button that would make it seamless. That is a lot of responses to go through 😢 I've decided that "NLP" can be a buzz word with limited substance if we aren't careful.
Agree the system should learn over time. The idea of a text model is to avoid manually interacting with every single survey.

Leave a Reply