Customizing the way embedded data pipes into survey | XM Community
Question

Customizing the way embedded data pipes into survey

• 7 August 2019
  • 2 replies

I'm creating a project where users that log in based on email id (pulling from Contact List) need to see a list of emails that checked into an organization. The number of people/emails checking into an organization can be in the 100s and the total number of organizations can be between 600-700. I've gotten the instrument to work technically but because of the way the emails are delimited in the uploaded contact list, all the emails appear in a horizontal line that is pretty unsightly. Please see below.
Is there any way to customize the piped embedded data ${e://Field/Email%20List} to make this appear as an actual list with emails one below the other instead of the long string? Thanks for your help

!

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hi @Suja,
Considering you have comma(,) between each email id. You can can go with below solution.

1. Go to the place you have added ${e://Field/Email%20List} in the question, switch to HTML view. Add the piping text inside a span tag and give an id like below -
<span id="ABC">${e://Field/Email%20List}</span>

2. Add JS in that question and add below script inside Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
Like below -
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page loads*/

var X =document.getElementById("ABC").innerText;
var str=X.split(",");
var strX="";
for(var i=0;i<str.length;i++)
{
strX=strX+str[i]+"\\n";
}
document.getElementById("ABC").innerText = strX;
});
Qualtrics Support found a simpler solution to my problem. I just needed to replace commas with line breaks "<br>" in my contact list and that fixed the problem. Thanks, @Subu for your help!

Leave a Reply