Randomly generate number according to previous text entry answer | XM Community
Question

Randomly generate number according to previous text entry answer

• 10 August 2019
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Hi guys,
I have this very specific scenario that requires a randomly generated number according to a text entry. Here's a brief description:

Screen 1: _How much do you expect to sell this item?_ [positive number-only entry], let's say respondent enters 5000
Screen 2: _Buyer proposes to buy your item for_ [a randomly generated number between 0 and the entered number in Screen 1] (so between 0 and 5000). _Would you accept the offer_?

I can't figure out how to generate the number in Screen 2. I tried random number generation in piped text but it didn't work.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
The problem is probably that you can't nest pipes. You can do it in JavaScript:
```
var randNum = (parseInt("${q://QID1/ChoiceTextEntryValue}") * Math.random()).toFixed(0);
```
TomG, thank you! I tried this in various what but somehow didn't get it to show up correctly. Could you please let me know how I can insert exactly this in between _Buyer proposes to buy your item for_ [blank] _Would you accept the offer?_
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @vinhpham194 said:
> TomG, thank you! I tried this in various what but somehow didn't get it to show up correctly. Could you please let me know how I can insert exactly this in between _Buyer proposes to buy your item for_ [blank] _Would you accept the offer?_
>
html:
```
Buyer proposes to buy your item for <span class="randNum"></span>. Would you accept the offer?
```
JS:
```
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .randNum").html(randNum);
```

Leave a Reply