Loop until 100% correct | XM Community
Solved

Loop until 100% correct

• 16 August 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have a simple four-question block, but I don't want to allow the participant to move on until they have got 100% correct, i.e. I want them to repeat the block of four questions as many times as it takes to get all the answers right How can I do that?

Thank you in advance!
icon

Best answer by Kate 16 August 2019, 19:20

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Survey flows aren't allowed to go on forever. But you can likely get as many times as you really need.

You're going to want to score the answers first:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/scoring/

Then create a branch in the survey flow at the end of your questions so that if the Score does not equal the correct final score, they get directed back to the first block. If it is the correct score, then they go to the end of the survey.
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/survey-flow-overview/

You're going to want to build that branch set out for as many possible answer combinations as their are. Maybe add 2 extra loops in case a respondent forgot an old comination that they used.

It's not actually infinte. But it will function they way you need it to!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thank you very much Kate. I think I've done as you suggest. However, on the second go around, even when you get all four right, it doesn't move on, instead sending it back to repeat. Could it be that the embedded "score" value that I use for the condition doesn't seem to reset when it goes back and repeats the block, so that even when the respondent gets all four right the second time, the "score" value could now be 5, 6 or 7 and therefore not be equal to 4 - which is the condition I've used to move it on to the next bit of the experiment. Is there a way of resetting that value for the second and third repeats of the block? Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Oh I didn't think about that. I revise my advice: Scoring will not work. I don't know of a way to reset the values.

It's going to look a little more complicated. Instead of branching if the score is correct/incorrect, you need to logic-out all of the questions.
So:
```Q1 = A
AND Q2 = A
AND Q3 = A
AND Q4 = A
THEN End of Survey (correct)```
Otherwise, back to Block 1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@AcademicNeil,

I think a simple solution is to put an Descriptive Text question with text something like, "One or more of the answers on the previous page is incorrect. Please go back and fix it." on its own page at the end of the block with display logic so it only displays if one or more of the answers to the previous questions in the block is wrong, i.e.:

Q1 correct answer is not selected
and Q2 correct answer is not selected
and Q3 correct answer is not selected
and Q4 correct answer is not selected

Then use JS to hide and/or disable the Next Button so the only thing they can do is click the Previous Button.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thank you both for your replies. I took Kate's advice and it seems to work. Tom, yours seems simpler in that I don't need to keep doing more branches but I think I'd rather they actually repeat the questions than go back and find the answer they got wrong.

Thanks again!

Leave a Reply