How to hide/display questions on retake? | XM Community
Solved

How to hide/display questions on retake?

• 28 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I've seen this posted as several threads but no one exactly addresses my situation. I am creating a form for students to fill out that then is sent to their instructor to validate but also, I have questions for the instructor to answer once they approve. My issue is how do I tweak the survey flow so that when the retake link is sent to the instructor (retake link is all good), the instructor does not see the student portion and is only seeing the questions addressed to them.

The reason I want to hide the student questions is:
1. don't want the instructor accidentally changing the student answers
2. streamline their section by having the student answers piped into a summary descriptive text instead.

I can hid the instructor part from the student side without issue, just the retake link portion doesn't seem to allow me to do the opposite.

Any support would be greatly appreciated! I've been spinning my wheels for weeks on this one.
icon

Best answer by Clint 29 October 2019, 17:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
*Edit* just doing the steps listed below might make it so that you lose the student version of the survey (since their questions will be hidden). I've edited my answer to fix this.

@cma - Easy. Add a data value to the end of your retake link and use display logic to show/hide based on that data value.

1. Example link: www.retakelink.com?DEL=1&Version=Instructor
2. Add an embedded data block to the very top of the survey flow to pull in Version
3. Same as step 1 &2, append the student's answer to the end of the retake URL and pull in at the top of the survey flow. Then use the embedded data as the student's answers. (example URL: www.retakelink.com?DEL=1&Version=Instructor&Q1=${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q2=${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}etc...
4. Set display logic for question to either show/hide based on if Version is equal to Instructor (or not).
Here's where I am at:
!
!

I must be missing something here, can you take a look and see if there is anything?

The retake link I'm using is: ...........Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&Q_R_DEL=1&Version=Instructor&Q1=${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q2=${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q3=${q://QID3/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q4=${q://QID4/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q5=${q://QID5/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q6=${q://QID6/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}

Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hey @cma,

I ran into this same issue about 2 years ago at Washington State University.

I address this in my note between step 3 and step 4 in my post from last year. https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/19035

To make this work for your situation you'll have to daisy chain multiple surveys together and then combine the data later. Just make sure that you send the response ID to the subsequent survey via the query string so you can link the data later.

It might be worth making a feature request to have an ability to override this default behavior so this can be done on a single survey.
So it's not possible to hide the student side when the instructor does the retake then?

If that's the limitation of qualtrics than I can certainly try a workaround. But I am still having issues with my retake link - despite the embedded data, it doesn't display the retake only questions at all. Can you take a look at my earlier screen caps and see if I missed something?
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
> @cma said:
> Here's where I am at:
> !
> !
>
> I must be missing something here, can you take a look and see if there is anything?
>
> The retake link I'm using is: ...........Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&Q_R_DEL=1&Version=Instructor&Q1=${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q2=${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q3=${q://QID3/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q4=${q://QID4/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q5=${q://QID5/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q6=${q://QID6/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}
>
> Thanks!
>
>

You need to add Q1-Q6 as embedded data just like "Version". You're not capturing the data until you do that. Then you'll need to use piped text for that embedded data to display on Q26 from your screenshot.

Please let me know if more info is needed.
Thanks @Clint and @Akdashboard for the support. The exact functionality I need isn't doable by Qualtircs quite yet but there is a New Idea thread for it: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/6694/multi-responder-single-response-surveys#latest in case anyone wants to upvote the idea for development.

Leave a Reply