How do I parse query string parameters from site referrer and page referrer? | XM Community
Question

How do I parse query string parameters from site referrer and page referrer?

• 14 November 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +3
I want to report at the url level so need to remove the query strings that are coming in. Any way to do this other than bucketing? With bucketing, I'd have to go in daily to see if I need to add strings to the group. Example below.

www.mysite.com?channel=paid&test=xyz
www.mysite.com?campaign=qualtrics&source=google

Want both above url's captured under www.mysite.com

2 replies

Badge +2
Hi Gisaac,

Have you tried converting the URL into embedded data and then using a branch with the contains function? You could then create a report for just that embedded data variable. Here is a screen shot - https://uploads-us-west-2.insided.com/qualtrics-us/attachment/8l_3sx6ag8cqtxd.png - of how you might set it up. I don't often work with that function, so I'd advise testing out a few different URLs.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Elliot V.W.
Badge +3
Thanks for the reply. This solution is helpful with there is a finite or known set of url's. However, in scenarios in which there are many url's added daily, this method requires monitoring and updating daily.

Looking for a way to create a new embedded data field off of the existing field where I can use a regex to kill all arguments from the url (this is the solution in my head:))

Leave a Reply