Does Qualtrics support running morning/afternoon diary studies? | XM Community
Solved

Does Qualtrics support running morning/afternoon diary studies?

• 4 June 2018
  • 6 replies

For a research project, I want to run a diary-study that asks the participant a few questions in the morning and a few (other) questions in the evening, daily, for a Duration of 2-3 weeks. Also the responses from the morning should be shown again in the evening. I am now wondering whether this is possible to achieve with Qualtrics. These are my requirements:

* Morning and evening: different questions
* Responses from morning & day before in evening-questionnaire
* Send out email reminders each morning and evening
* Works if not all participants start at the same time!

I found out that I could use Panels (using subject IDs) to create a diary study:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/contacts/contact-list-overview/
Also that it's possible to send out emails at specific times.

However, I am not sure how to split the questionnaire to have different questions in the morning Than the evening.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Kate 5 June 2018, 15:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can create embedded variable to apply display logic for morning and evening questions.
Also we can send email in evening with retake link and showing morning answers in non editable form with evening questions below.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
The display logic method mentioned should work. I don't have experience with that sort of technical execution is something I haven't done before and would make me nervous and require a lot of testing. I personally would not choose that route.

If this were my project, I would create 2 separate survey projects. The morning survey should be set up to create embedded data for all survey responses. Then you can pull that into the evening survey. Because the morning data is embedded in the afternoon survey, you should even be able to just download the responses from the evening survey and not have to merge them after the fact.
> @Kate said:
> The display logic method mentioned should work. I don't have experience with that sort of technical execution is something I haven't done before and would make me nervous and require a lot of testing. I personally would not choose that route.
>
> If this were my project, I would create 2 separate survey projects. The morning survey should be set up to create embedded data for all survey responses. Then you can pull that into the evening survey. Because the morning data is embedded in the afternoon survey, you should even be able to just download the responses from the evening survey and not have to merge them after the fact.

This sounds amazing, I will definitely try it out. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
@casaout Feel free to reach out if you need help when it comes to the detail of implementation.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
@Kate, I am interested in a similar idea and have a couple questions about your explanation. How do you pull in and embed the morning ED into the evening survey if they are in separate surveys?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
> @uhrxx005 said:
> ...How do you pull in and embed the morning ED into the evening survey if they are in separate surveys?...

I kind of thought this would be the question, haha....

Contact triggers. On the morning survey go to Tools > Triggers > Contact List triggers. This allows you, once the survey is complete, to send the updated Embedded data to update your contacts.

So long as you clearly identify all of your embedded data, it should be simple. So create a category for each question, "Breakfast = Answer Choice Q1", "Morning ritual = Answer Choice Q2".... you can then pipe those into the questionnaire for the afternoon survey: "You said you ate {e://Breakfast} for breakfast this morning."

Here is the info on contact list triggers:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/contact-list-triggers/

Leave a Reply