Customizing Slider Questions | XM Community
Solved

Customizing Slider Questions

• 14 May 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello,
I have two questions. I want to measure how similar people perceive two words by using the slider depicted in the picture. How can I customize the slider handle so that the other word (e.g., 'Sad') appears on top of it and moves with the handle when the participants are giving their answers. Also, how can I make sure that the word 'Happy' stays at the left hand side of the slider (like the case in the first picture)? Because when I preview the survey the word 'Happy' moves below the 'Very similar' which is something I do not want (see picture 2).
Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 19.09.31.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-13 at 19.15.07.pngAlso, another question: Is there a way to convert this slider to a continuous measure of similarity?

icon

Best answer by Tom_1842 19 January 2023, 15:12

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Hi there, if you still need, this can be put in place by using the Constant Sum sliders and modifying the slider handles. I ended up replacing the slider background with a picture of the word that I created with PowerPoint's WordArt.
First, create or find pictures of the words you would like to use for the slider handles. Upload these to your Qualtrics library if you create them and grab their URLs.
Then, create a Constant Sum question and set its Answer Type to Sliders. Set up the statements and labels like your picture.
Finally, add the below to the question's JavaScript in the OnReady section. handle:eq(0) corresponds to the first handle and handle:eq(1) would correspond to the second if you add more.
jQuery('.value').css({"display":"none"});

jQuery('.handle:eq(0)').css({
"background":"url('URL_FOR_HANDLE')",
"background-size": "cover",
"background-repeat": "no-repeat",
"background-position": "center center",
"width":"50px",
"height":"50px",
"marginTop": "-=20px"
});
SliderSimilarityPicture.png

Leave a Reply