Designing a question that allows me to capture video recorded data | XM Community
Solved

Designing a question that allows me to capture video recorded data

• 19 October 2018
  • 9 replies

I am designing a test that requires students to produce an oral response that I would like to capture. Is there any way of doing this within qualtrics? If not, I know I can add a link to an external program? Any suggestions for good capturing programs?
icon

Best answer by LaurenK 26 October 2018, 17:38

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
There is no such inbuilt feature or question type for storing voice based messages. Better use link to an external program.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hey @jp248! If you have not yet already, be sure to check out this community post!
Badge +1
Hi,

I've just put together a guide on how to capture video answers in Qualtrics surveys using the Pipe recorder.

I'm Octavian from Pipe.
Hi @octavn - Thank you so much for this guide! The end of it says "Next, we’ll use the Pipe JS Events API to populate the value of the Text Entry’s input field with the video URL which will then get saved together with the other answers to your survey." However, this is the end of the document. Do you have instructions on how to do that?
Badge +1
Hi @nmw35, glad you found it useful.

We'll update/continue our guide soon with instructions on how to:
* use the Text Entry’s input field to capture the recording URLs
* use Embedded Data fields to capture the recording URLs

You basically need to use Pipe's 2.0 JS Events API to generate the recording URL and some simple jQuery to change the input value. This codepen shows how to use the 3 JS functions in a simple HTML page (non Qualtrics).
Hi @octavn - Unfortunately I don't understand any of that. I don't know how to use JavaScript, which is why the original guide was so helpful! Do you have any idea when you will be updating it?
Badge +1
Hi @nmw35 ,

I've now updated the guide with further steps on how to use embedded data elements to capture the recording URLs for each audio or video question.
Badge +1

Another option is to embed a Phonic widget into your Qualtrics survey. This lets you record either audio or video and comes with full transcription, translation, and a host of other analytics. The integration guide is here: https://docs.phonic.ai/docs/integrate-with-qualtrics
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 11.07.49 AM.png
Disclaimer: I built Phonic.

Badge +1

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/43119#Comment_43119DavidFerris I'm trying to embed a Phonic widget into my Qualtrics survey and the widget doesn't want to display. The code is in the question HTML view. When I try to add the header HTML, every time I navigate away from the Look & Feel General page, it seems the header code gets stripped. This happens if I paste it straight into the box or in the HTML View of the full Header code, including if I select "Apply" to save the changes or not. The widget doesn't display in the Preview or when the survey is published. Any thoughts on how to resolve?
Screenshot 2022-05-20 142028.pngScreenshot 2022-05-20 142104.png

Leave a Reply