How do I exclude "none of the above" from un-selected carry forward choices? | XM Community
Solved

How do I exclude "none of the above" from un-selected carry forward choices?

• 7 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +2
I'm trying to learn more about why respondents did not selected certain answers to a question by asking a follow-up question based on their un-selected choices. I can carry forward all of the un-selected choices to the follow-up question, but want to exclude the choice of "none of the above" because it wouldn't make any sense to follow-up on that option.
icon

Best answer by TomG 7 November 2018, 15:15

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
You can't exclude it. You can hide it with JavaScript in the follow-up question. The exact script would depend on the question type/configuration.

A non-script alternative would be to list all the options in the second question (not carryover), and set up display logic on each one.
Badge +2
Interesting solutions/workarounds. I'll give these options a try. Thank you!

Hello, what exact script could I use? I've been struggling with this issue for days and haven't found a way to work around it. Help is much much appreciated.

Badge +2

victorcc , I ended using TomG 's second suggestion of using display logic as opposed to carry-forward logic. Here's how (let's assume Q1 is your first question  and Q2 is your follow-up):

• Make sure "None of the above" in Q1 is an exclusive answer so if the question is "select all", respondents can't select other options and then none of the above

• Add display logic to Q2: Display Q2 only if "None of the above" is NOT selected in Q1

• In Q2, keep all of your answer options from Q1 but add display logic to each option to only display if option is NOT selected in Q1

Userlevel 1

You can also use the approach here, which is quicker to implement than the display logic: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/11930/exclude-none-from-carry-forward-answer-choices
It says to use 'carry forward' and then use Randomisation>Advanced Randomisation on the carry forward question and put 'None of the Above' in the 'exclude' category.

Leave a Reply