How to set up a sweepstakes in an anonymous survey | XM Community

How to set up a sweepstakes in an anonymous survey

• 8 March 2018
  • 9 replies

We are often asked how to create a anonymous survey and let participants enter an optional drawing for prizes. One Qualtrics users with the help of Qualtrics supports came up with this innovative method

Qualtrics Sweepstakes Survey How-To
This step-by-step instruction is how to connect a second survey that will collect name and email address for a survey and keep it separate from the original survey, keeping them separated from one another, so the first survey comments remain anonymous.
1. Create Survey #1 with questions to remain anonymous.
2. Create a Survey #2 to collect names and email addresses for sweepstakes or contest give-aways.
3. Click into Survey #2 (for prize entries)
4. At top left, click on “Distributions”
5. At left sidebar, click on “Anonymous Link”
6. Anonymous link will show up in blue in the middle of the page.
7. Highlight link and Control C to copy link.
8. Go back to the four color dots in the upper left part of Qualtrics
9. Click onto Survey #1 (the one asking for anonymous questions)
10. At top left, click on survey options.
11. In Survey Options, see section on Survey Termination.
12. Click on button “Redirect to a full URL,”
13. Paste in the link from Survey #2
14. Click “Save”
15. Preview Survey
16. At the top gear wheel, click on drop down and click on “Ignore Validation” (you can leave “Show Hidden Questions” clicked on. This allows you to go through the survey without having to type in forced answers.
17. At bottom of page, click on blue arrow button and it will redirect you to the survey to collect names and email addresses.
Tip: In Survey #1, you may want to create a last “question” with descriptive text letting the survey user know to click on the arrow to be entered for a drawing.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
@BradH I like that approach!! That way, you're able to keep the survey that contains the anonymous information, well, anonymous, and the other survey can collect the volunteered information.

Do you know if that works on Mobile Offline? That's a topic I'm still working on learning. I have two surveys that I want to interact with, and it's similar to this use case.

I know that Offline adds a complexity to this, but I was wondering if you had experience with it!
How do you ensure that the people entering the draw (through the second survey) actually completed the main survey? I tried using HTTP Referer Verification setting on the second survey, setting it to the Anonymous URL for the first survey, but it didn't work. It generates an error saying: "Thank you for your interest in this survey. Unfortunately, it is only available to participants coming from specific websites."
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@MEG,

Temporarily turn off HTTP Referer Verification on the second survey. Add the embedded variable Referer to the top of second survey survey flow. Pipe Referer into the question text of the first question. Now, take the first survey and see what the value of Referer is when you get redirected to the second survey.
Userlevel 1
TWIST #1 - Anyone know how someone taking Survey 1 in another language (e.g. French) could be directed to a French Ballot Entry in Survey 2? I just tried going through a French survey path in Survey 1 but got taken to the English Ballot Entry in Survey 2.

I have made a French translation in Survey 2.
Userlevel 1
TWIST #2 - My Survey 1 is setup in the Survey Options to be by Invitation Only. This seems to mean that I can not get an anonymous survey link. In this case, it means that HTTP Referrer Verification can't be used? So, we can't confirm that people who fill out the Draw Ballot actually completed or at least came from Survey 1?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @QubieDK said:
> TWIST #1 - Anyone know how someone taking Survey 1 in another language (e.g. French) could be directed to a French Ballot Entry in Survey 2? I just tried going through a French survey path in Survey 1 but got taken to the English Ballot Entry in Survey 2.
>
> I have made a French translation in Survey 2.

Pass the language of the first survey to the second survey in the redirect url:
```
&Q_lang=${e://Field/Q_Language}
```
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @QubieDK said:
> TWIST #2 - My Survey 1 is setup in the Survey Options to be by Invitation Only. This seems to mean that I can not get an anonymous survey link. In this case, it means that HTTP Referrer Verification can't be used? So, we can't confirm that people who fill out the Draw Ballot actually completed or at least came from Survey 1?

Instead of doing an equals in your branch that checks Referer, you can do a contains to make sure it includes the part of the url before the parameters (from https to the ?).
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi everyone! If you have not yet already, I'd recommend checking out this support page, which explains how you can setup an anonymized raffle using Qualtrics! If you have any additional questions or if you have any issues with the setup, be sure to reach out to our wonderful Support team!

Badge

Thank you very much. This is insightful

Leave a Reply