How can I create navigation bar in a Qualtrics survey? | XM Community
Question

How can I create navigation bar in a Qualtrics survey?

• 6 January 2020
  • 2 replies

I have a really long survey comprising of 200 questions and I am using a loop and merge block with one question which is looped over 200 times for a different set of variables in the question text. My respondents are finding it difficult to navigate back in the survey. To make it easy, I created 20 loops and merge blocks having one question which is iterated over 10 times, and then added the table of contents for these 20 blocks. It became easy to navigate between blocks and then go back and forth for the questions in the selected block. But going back or forth from one block to another gives the attached warning whenever I press back button. !
Can you please help me fix/suppress this warning or suggest some other alternative to make navigation easy for my survey?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sometimes when using loop and merge, branching, etc. there will be an error with the back button or the back button may become disabled when navigating between blocks. See the Qualtrics content on loop and merge. Qualtrics does provide a warning on their loop and merge content page: "You cannot use Loop & Merge to go backwards in the survey. You can only use it to go forward in the survey, or repeat a block over and over."

One option you might want to consider is providing a Table of Contents which will allow your respondents to jump around in your survey - which I am guessing you are trying to allow respondents to do?
@C_Bohn thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using a table of contents already.

Leave a Reply