What's on this page:IntroductionTable of Contents FunctionalitySetting Up the Table of ContentsCustomizing the Table of ContentsToC and Other Features
You can use the Table of Contents (ToC) feature to allow your respondents to easily navigate between your question blocks while taking your survey. Each survey respondent will have access to a Table of Contents that allows them to jump to different sections in your survey and track their overall progress.
Table of Contents Functionality
When a respondent reaches a ToC, they see a list of all the blocks included within the ToC and can choose to start in any block.
At any point, the respondent can click on a sidebar to see a list of all blocks in the ToC. The respondent can then click on a block to move to that section of the survey. Any completed blocks will have a checkmark, helping the respondent keep track of their progress.
When the respondent completes the last block in the ToC, they’ll be directed to a conclusion page that lists all blocks in the survey and asks if they’re ready to submit their answers. If the respondent is ready, they can click the submit button. If they’re not ready, they can click on any of the blocks to review their answers.
Setting Up the Table of Contents
- Open your Survey Flow in the Survey module.
- Click Add a New Element Here or Add Below.
- Select Table of Contents.
- Move the Table of Contents element to its appropriate location by clicking on Move and dragging the element.
- Move the desired question blocks and other elements so that they’re nested beneath the Table of Contents element.
Qtip: The names of the blocks in the ToC are the Block Names in the survey editor.
- Click Save Flow.
Customizing the Table of Contents
You have several available options to customize your Table of Contents (ToC), ranging from adding a header to showing the respondent’s progress through each block.
You can enter a custom title for your ToC that will be seen by your survey respondents. Just enter the header text directly into the Header box.
If you are translating your survey, you can enable the ToC header from Library option to insert a message from your Library. From within your Messages Library, you can add translations to your message. This method also allows you to access the Rich Content Editor and customize your Header even further.
There are many customization settings available in the ToC Options menu.
From here, you can include or remove additional messages, give or hide navigational tools, and more.
- Add Table of Contents introduction message: Specify an introduction message to show respondents at the beginning of the ToC.
- Add Table of Contents conclusion page: Display the ToC block list (showing which blocks have and have not been answered) at the end of the ToC, allowing the respondent to jump to both answered and unanswered blocks (enabled by default). You can display a default message or create your own.
- Show Sidebar: Display an icon in the top left corner of the survey that shows the ToC navigation menu when clicked (enabled by default). This allows respondents to switch between blocks mid-survey.
- Show Block Progress: Display percent complete metric next to each block name in the sidebar navigation menu.
- Skip Initial Table of Contents page: Skip the default initial ToC introduction and block list page.
- Show Button: Display a button in the bottom left of the survey that allows the respondent to navigate to the ToC menu page at any time. You set the text of the button.
ToC and Other Features
In addition, if you are using Loop & Merge with a ToC, the block will not loop until the respondent answers the question that the loop is based off of.