About Pick, Group, and Rank Questions
Pick, Group, and Rank questions allow respondents to drag and drop items into groups. Within each group, respondents can rank items by dragging and dropping them into place (as they would with a Rank Order question).
There is only one variation for the Pick, Group, and Rank question type, called Drag and Drop.
By default, groups are displayed vertically one beneath another. You can change your groups using the following options:
- Number of groups: Change the number of groups that respondents can drop items into.
- Use suggested groups: If using suggested choices, you can use Qualtrics’ suggested groups for those choices.
- Add columns: When enabled, groups will be organized into two side-by-side columns instead of being organized vertically.
By default, items are displayed one beneath another. For certain sorting activities, stacking these items into piles may be more appropriate. Stacking items can conserve space by stacking the choices rather than displaying them next to each other.
When Stack items in groups is enabled, grouped choices will be stacked on top of each other. Note that ranking is not possible when this option is selected.
In the Response requirements section, you can use the Add validation option to control how respondents answer the question. When adding validation, you have multiple options:
- Must select: The respondent must select a certain amount of choices. You’ll define a range of how many items respondents must group in total. This means all items can be put in 1 group, so long as they meet the minimum/maximum requirements.
- Each group contains: The respondent must put a certain amount of choices in each group. You’ll need to define how many items respondents must assign to each group.
- Custom: Create custom validation for your question based on your own criteria.
Once your responses have been collected, Qualtrics offers various ways you can analyze your response data. From the Reports tab, you can view aggregate data in pre-made reports as well as create your own reports from scratch. From the Data & Analysis tab, you can view and manage individual respondents’ data.
In the Results section of the Reports tab, there are five visualization types available for Pick Group and Rank questions: Simple Table, Bar Chart, Line Chart, Pie Chart, and Breakdown Bar. For more information on these visualizations please visit the linked visualization support pages.
You can either choose the Groups as the data source, displaying how many times each item was sorted into each group, or you can choose Rank as the data source, displaying how many times each rank was assigned to each item.
Downloaded Data Format
The downloaded data set will include two columns for each item participants were asked to group.
The first column will indicate which group the participant placed the item in (labeled numerically, with “0” being the first group, “1” being the second, and so forth).
The second column will indicate what rank this item received within the group it was placed in.