What's on this page:IntroductionSetting Up Net Promoter® ScoreCalculating Net Promoter® ScoreData Analysis
Net Promoter® Score, commonly referred to as NPS®, is a customer loyalty metric that gauges how willing a customer is to recommend a product or service. Developed by Fred Reichheld, founder of Bain & Company’s Loyalty Practice, Net Promoter® Score is now used as an alternative or supplement to customer satisfaction measurement in thousands of organizations around the world.
In its most simple form, Net Promoter® Score can be described with one simple question:
Setting Up Net Promoter® Score
For easy implementation, Net Promoter® Score is built directly into Qualtrics as a question type. To ensure consistency with Net Promoter® Score theory, the Net Promoter® Score question type purposefully has limited editing options and is set at exactly 11 scale points.
To set up Net Promoter® Score
- Click the Create a New Question drop down and choose Net Promoter® Score.
- Click on the question text to replace [INSERT COMPANY NAME HERE] with the name of your company, product, or service.
Calculating Net Promoter® Score
Net Promoter® Score divides respondents into three categories based on the scale point they selected:
- Promoters (scale points 9 and 10): Promoters are your customers who are loyal and enthusiastic about your organization and will continue buying and referring others.
- Passives (scale points 7 and 8): Passives are generally satisfied customers, but lack the enthusiasm of Promoters. This group is vulnerable to competitive offerings and not immune to defection.
- Detractors (scale points 0 through 6): Detractors are often unhappy and can diminish your brand through negative word of mouth.
Net Promoter® Score is derived by taking the percentage of respondents who are Promoters and subtracting the percentage of respondents who are Detractors.
Once your responses have been collected, Qualtrics offers various methods to create reports both in and out of the platform. From the Reports module, you can view aggregate data with pre-made reports as well as create your own. From the Data & Analysis module, you can view and manipulate your survey responses on an individual basis.
There are five visualization types available for NPS® questions: Simple Table, Bar Chart, Line Chart, Pie Chart, and Breakdown Bar. For more information on these visualizations please visit the linked visualization support pages.
Downloaded Data Format
In the downloaded data set, a column is included for each Net Promoter® Score question, listing the score given by each individual participant.
NPS®, Net Promoter® & Net Promoter® Score are registered trademarks of Satmetrix Systems, Inc., Bain & Company and Fred Reichheld.