About Adding Directory Contacts
The Directory Contacts tab contains all the contacts added to your organization’s directory. Any contacts added to a mailing list are added to this directory automatically, but you can also add people straight to the directory itself by using the Add directory contacts button.
Whether you’re uploading a CSV or TSV of contacts or manually typing them out, there is certain information you must include for your contacts.
- FirstName: The contact’s first name.
- LastName: The contact’s last name.
- Email: The contact’s email address. It’s recommended that you consolidate duplicates off this field.
- ExternalDataReference: Extra information about the contact. This is most often used to store data such as an employee or student ID. It can be used to log into authenticators and configure how the directory consolidates duplicates.
- Embedded data: Embedded data are additional fields containing whatever field you want. These do not have to follow a particular naming convention. In the screenshot above, Department, City, and Country are all embedded data.
Qtip: Embedded data names have a maximum of 200 characters. Values should be a maximum of 1024 characters each.Warning: All embedded data fields were previously case-sensitive. For a vast majority of users, embedded data is no longer case-sensitive, meaning “test” and “Test” would be treated as the same field. However, we still advise matching cases as a best practice, since there is a small portion of accounts where this change has not been made.Warning: Do not use Points as an embedded data field since it is a reserved field in the XM Directory. Additionally, do not use any of the other Qualtrics default fields.
- Language: An optional column that identifies the contact’s language using language codes.
- Phone: An optional column that identifies the contact’s phone number. See the SMS Distributions support page for accepted phone number formats.
Upload a File
- Click Add directory contacts.
- Click Upload a File.
- In Excel, create a document with the required fields and save it as a CSV or TSV. Or, click Download a sample template, fill out the appropriate columns, add any desired embedded data, and save the file.
- When the file is ready, drag and drop the file into the space provided, or click Select a file and select the file from your folder.
- Review the Verify Fields section to make sure the information looks right. If a field has not been properly recognized, click on the field name to view a dropdown of options and select the correct field.
- Click Upload the file to upload them to your directory.
Troubleshooting File Imports
Qualtrics makes it easy to check on the status of your contact imports and fix any errors that may have occurred. We provide a line by line file of each contact and information about whether it was imported correctly. This serves as a reference so that if your contacts fail to import, you can identify what the issue was, fix the file, and try again.
To get a detailed status of your import:
- After uploading your file, click the toolbox icon in the top-right corner of the Directory Contacts tab.
Qtip: If importing contacts to a specific mailing list, you can click the toolbox from inside the mailing list, too.
- Click View import details.
- Review the summary of the import. This will include how many contacts were created, how many contacts were updated, and how many contacts failed to import. Additionally, your import will be assigned a Progress ID, which is useful to have on hand if you need to contact Qualtrics Support.
- To download your error report file, click Download a report.
Qtip: Depending on the size of your upload, it may take a few moments for the report to generate.
- Open the file in a spreadsheet editor on your computer, and review the file for any contacts that failed. The column most useful for identifying failed contacts is the ImportStatus column. More information about each column is below.
Error Report Fields
Below is a description of each field in the error report:
- SourceIndexId: The index, or row ID, of the contact in the import file.
- Email: The email address associated with the contact.
- ContactId: The ID of the contact in your directory.
- ImportStatus: The import status for the contact. Values include: Added, Updated, and Failed.
- ImportStatusCode: The status code for the import. See the next section for a list of codes and their meanings.
- TransactionId: If applicable, the Transaction ID of the contact upload or update.
- TransactionStatus: If applicable, the status for the transaction. Values include: Added, Updated, and Failed.
- TransactionStatusCode: The status code for the transaction. See the next section for a list of codes and their meanings.
- ContactListContactId: If adding contacts to a mailing list or creating a new list, the ID of the contact in the specific mailing list.
- ContactListContactStatus: If adding contacts to a mailing list or creating a new list, the status of the addition or update. Values include: Added, Updated, and Failed.
- ContactListContactStatusCode: The status code for the contact in the mailing list. See the next section for a list of codes and their meanings.
Below is a list of possible status codes and their descriptions.
Qtip: If contacting support for help, have your troubleshooting file handy.
|0||An unknown error occurred; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|1||An unknown error occurred; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|10||The contact FirstName is empty or invalid; please enter a valid first name.|
|11||The contact LastName is empty or invalid; please enter a valid last name.|
|12||The contact value for ExternalDataReference is empty or invalid; please enter a valid ExternalDataReference value.|
|13||The contact Phone is empty or invalid; please enter a valid phone number.|
|14||The contact Email is empty or invalid; please enter a valid email address.|
|40||The contact was created successfully.|
|41||The contact was updated successfully.|
|42||The contact wasn’t created; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|43||The contact wasn’t created; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|44||The contact wasn’t created; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|45||The contact wasn’t created; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|46||The contact wasn’t created; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|47||The contact wasn’t created; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|60||The contact was added to the mailing list successfully.|
|61||The contact was updated in the mailing list successfully.|
|62||The contact wasn’t added to the mailing list; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|70||The transaction was created successfully.|
|71||The transaction import failed – there was no valid contact associated with the transaction; please provide valid contact information.|
|72||The transaction wasn’t created; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|73||The transaction creation failed because ContactId or ContactListContactId wasn’t found in the directory; please enter a valid ContactId and ContactListContactId.|
|74||The transaction creation failed due to missing TransactionDate; please enter a valid transaction date.|
|75||An unknown error occurred; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|76||An unknown error occurred; please contact Qualtrics for support.|
|77||The values for ContactID, MailingListID, or TransactionDate are empty or invalid; please enter a valid ContactID, MailingListID, and TransactionDate.|
|78||The transaction wasn’t created because the associated contact creation failed; please contact Qualtrics for support.|