About Adding Directory Contacts
The Directory Contacts tab contains all the contacts added to your organization’s directory. Any contacts added to a mailing list are added to this directory automatically, but you can also add people straight to the directory itself by using the Add Directory Contacts button.
Whether you’re uploading a CSV or TSV of contacts or manually typing them out, there is certain information you must include for your contacts.
- FirstName: The contact’s first name.
- LastName: The contact’s last name.
- Email: The contact’s email address. This field is required if your organization is using Automatic Deduplication.
- ExternalDataReference: Extra information about the contact. This is most often used to store data such as an employee or student ID. It can be used to log into authenticators.
- Embedded Data: Embedded Data are additional fields containing whatever field you want. These do not have to follow a particular naming convention. In the screenshot above, Department, City, and Country are all Embedded Data.
Qtip: Embedded Data names have a maximum of 200 characters. Values should be a maximum of 1024 characters each.Warning: All Embedded Data fields were previously case-sensitive. For a vast majority of users, Embedded Data is no longer case-sensitive, meaning “test” and “Test” would be treated as the same field. However, we still advise matching cases as a best practice, since there is a small portion of accounts where this change has not been made.Warning: Do not use Points as a Embedded Data field since it is a reserved field in the XM Directory. Additionally, do not use any of the other Qualtrics default fields.
In addition to these fields, you can include a column for Language based on the available language codes, and Phone, the contact’s phone number.
Upload a File
- Click Add Directory Contacts.
- Click Upload a File.
- In Excel, create a document with the required fields and save it as a CSV or TSV. Or, click Example Document, fill out the appropriate columns, add any desired Embedded Data, and save the file.
- When the file is ready, click Browse and select the file from your folder.
- Review the Verify Fields section to make sure the information looks right. If a field has not been properly recognized, click on the field name to view a dropdown of options and select the correct field.
- Click Add Contacts to upload them to your directory.