What's on this page:IntroductionSetting Question Display LogicSetting Answer Choice Display LogicEditing Display Logic
You can use Display Logic to create a survey that is customized to each respondent. When a specific question or answer choice pertains only to certain respondents, you can set Display Logic on it so that it shows conditionally, based on previous information. Through Display Logic, you can create surveys that dynamically adapt to your respondents’ answers.
Setting Question Display Logic
- Select the question that you want to display conditionally.
- Click the gray gear to the left and then select Add Display Logic.
- Set the condition that must be met for the question to display. The condition can be based on any of the following:
- Previous Question: Display a question only if the respondent chose a specific answer to a previous question.
- Embedded Data: Use any information you have stored about the respondent to set display conditions. For example, only display a question to those who have an Embedded Data field for Age, equal to 25.
- Quota: Once a Quota has been created, set a condition based on whether or not the quota has been met.
- Contact List: Base the condition on information already stored in a contact list field, such as first name, last name, or email.
- GeoIP Location: Automatically use the IP address of the survey participant to estimate their location and set a condition based on country, city, postal code, etc.
- Loop & Merge: After a Loop & Merge block has been created, set the conditions within the Loop & Merge based on the current loop.
- Device Type: Base the condition on what type of mobile device is being used, including Android, iPhone, Windows, and others.
- If desired, select the In Page checkbox if you want the question to appear immediately once the condition is met, rather than displaying it on the next page of the survey.
Qtip: In the case that In Page Display Logic isn’t available based on your question configuration, Qualtrics will display a notification. Some of these incompatibilities include Loop & Merge, Skip Logic, Heat Map, and Hot Spot.
- Click Save to apply the logic.
Setting Answer Choice Display Logic
Editing Display Logic
After applying Display Logic to a question, a blue bar will appear. You can edit the Display Logic by clicking on the dropdown arrow on the right of the blue bar and selecting Edit. To remove the Display Logic, select Remove.
After applying Display Logic to the answer choices, a blue arrow will appear to the left of the answer choice. To edit Display Logic, click the blue dropdown menu to access the Choice Options list and select Edit Display Logic.