About Directory Options
Directory Options is a dropdown menu that can be found in the upper-right corner of the Directory Contacts tab. It contains many important means of managing your directory contacts, such as the ability to export them, to set up automatic rules for list enrollment, consolidate duplicates, and manage Embedded Data.
You can export all of your directory’s contacts in a file format of your choosing.
- Click Directory Options.
- Click Export All Contacts.
- Select a File Format.
- Choose whether to Export Contact Stats. This is information about contact frequency, response rate, etc.
- Choose whether to Export Embedded Data. Yes exports all Embedded, No exports none, and Specify Embedded Data allows you to choose which fields to export.
- Click Export.
Specify Embedded Data
To specify Embedded Data, simply select fields from the menu on the right. Selected fields are in blue along the bottom of the menu.
To remove fields, click the X next to their name.
Automatic List Enrollment
Say you have an ongoing survey that you run for several different cities. You get a lot of people requesting to be added to these surveys and wish you could upload them all at once to your directory instead of in separate contact lists.
Automatic List Enrollment allows you to automatically sort new contacts into certain lists based on various information about them. This feature only affects newly created contacts in your directory. Automatic List Enrollment rules will not retroactively apply to existing contacts in your directory.
- Click Directory Options.
- Select Automatic List Enrollment.
- Click Create New Rule.
- Select the mailing list you want to add the contact to, OR click Create New List to create a new list.
- Select the type of information you want to filter by.
- Finish the “statement” based on the specifics of that information.
Example: Here, we only want people whose email domains contain “qualtrics” to be included in our Pilot Test mailing list.
- Click Create Rule to finish.
Conditions in Automatic List Enrollment are similar to conditions in directory filters. The only difference is that the only fields you can base Automatic List Enrollment on are Contact Info and Embedded Data.
After you have created rules, you will see them whenever you select Automatic List Enrollment from the Directory Options.
Click on a rule to modify it. You can also click Delete Rule on the bottom-right to delete it forever.
At times, you may upload multiple copies of the same contact to your directory without knowing. You can combine these duplicates into one contact by using Consolidate Duplicates in the Directory Options.
- Click Directory Options.
- Select Consolidate duplicates.
- Select fields along the left that you want to search for duplicates of. You may select up to two duplicate fields.
Example: If we select first and last name, contacts with the same first name won’t be considered duplicates. Only if both names match will they be considered duplicates of each other.
- Click Find duplicates.
Qtip: Click Consolidate your contacts in Directory Settings in the bottom left to be brought to your directory’s automatic deduplication settings.
- Next to a group of duplicates, click Consolidate.
Qtip: You can only consolidate 1,000,000 sets of duplicates at a time. In the above image, 2 sets of duplicates were present. If your directory has more than 1,000,000 sets of duplicates, you will need to consolidate duplicates multiple times.
- The differences between the duplicates will be listed. Select the preferred version of each differing field.
- Click Consplidate duplicates.
Qtip: While you can specify the values for contact information (name, email, phone, and language), you cannot specify the values for embedded data. The values for the embedded data will be the embedded data associated with the selected email address. If the email selected was not uploaded with embedded data, then the existing values will be erased.
Consolidating Additional Duplicates
If you come back to the Consolidate Duplicates window later, you may end up seeing your previous duplication search results.
Just click Start New Search on the bottom-left to consolidate more duplicates.
Manage Embedded Data & Refresh Embedded Data
Manage Embedded Data under Directory Options allows you to edit the Embedded Data fields themselves, not just the values. From this window, you can delete Embedded Data, rename it, or merge multiple fields.
- Renaming Fields: Click into or highlight a field to change its name.
- Deleting Fields: Select the fields you wish to delete with the checkboxes along the left, then click Delete on the upper-right. When nothing is selected, you can also highlight over a single field and click the trash icon to delete it.
- Merging Fields: Select multiple fields along the left to merge into a single Embedded Data field. Then click Merge Fields on the upper-right, select the name you want the merged fields to have, and click Merge Fields. If there are multiple values, the newest one added will become the value of the merged field.
- Unique Values: Unique Values are the number of distinct values that an Embedded Data field has assigned to it. For example, if you have an Embedded Data field for “State,” and your contacts are assigned to either New York, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania, the Unique Value would be 3.
- Refreshing Embedded Data: Because XM Directory contains every single contact in your brand, it can take some time for changes to Embedded Data to appear on the site. These changes will always load if given time, but if you notice that something isn’t showing up, you can refresh your Embedded Data to quicken the process. Click Missing Embedded Data? to perform this refresh. Note that this process may take some time.