What's on this page:IntroductionCreating a Message in a LibraryMessage TypesMessage Library Options
The Messages Library holds all messages used for your surveys, such as Invite Emails and End of Survey messages. Each time you make a message in Qualtrics, like a Reminder Email or Custom Validation message, it’s saved in your Messages Library. You can also create messages directly within the Messages Library and use them later.
Creating a Message in a Library
- Navigate to Messages Library in the Library section.
- Click the New Message button.
- Choose the Message Type.
Qtip: Validation Messages work as a set of customized error messages and are created differently than the other message types. To learn how to create Validation Messages, visit our Validation page.
- Choose the folder you want to add the message to (if no folder is selected, it will automatically be saved to the default “Uncategorized” folder).
- Name the message (if no name is given, it will automatically be saved as “New Message”).
- Type the message content as you want it to appear.
Qtip: You can use the Rich Content Editor to change the size, color and format of your text.
- Click Create Message.
There are ten types of messages you can make. Creating the right type of message will help you when trying to find or use the message later.
- Invites: Email messages sent in an Email distribution to invite participants to take your survey. You can access or create these messages in the Emails tab in the Distributions module.
- Look & Feel: Usually short phrases used as Next or Back button text or as Header or Footer text. You can access or create these messages in the Look & Feel menu in the Survey module.
Qtip: If you set up Look & Feel text as messages (instead of just typing the text directly into the available fields in the menu), you can add translations or edit the message and have all instances update automatically.
- End of Survey: The message participants see when they’ve completed their survey. You can access or create these messages in either the Survey Options menu or the Survey Flow in the Survey module.
- General: Messages used in features like Authenticators and the Table of Contents. You can access or create these messages in the Survey Flow in the Survey module.
- Reminders: Email messages sent to remind participants in an Email distribution to take your survey. You can access or make these messages in the Emails tab in the Distributions module.
- Validation: Explanatory messages participants see when they fail specific validation requirements (e.g., not answering a question that has Force Response or inputting text in a question that has numeric Content Validation). You can access or create these messages in the Survey Options menu or any question’s Custom Validation menu in the Survey module.
- Email Subjects: Subject lines for emails sent in an email survey invitation. You can access or make these messages in the Emails tab in the Distributions module.
- Thank You: Emails sent to participants who have completed a survey in an Email distribution. You can access or create these messages in the Survey Options menu within the Survey module and in the Emails tab within the Distributions module.
- Inactive Survey: The message participants see when they open a link to an inactive survey. You can access or create these messages in the Survey Options menu in the Survey module.
- SMS Invites: Text messages to invite participants to take the Anonymous Link of your survey. You can access or create these messages in the SMS tab in the Distributions module.
Qtip: SMS access is an add-on feature for your Qualtrics license and will need to be enabled for you to use it. Contact your Qualtrics Administrator for more information.
Message Library Options
The message option menu is found within the gray gear dropdown, located to the far right of each message.
For messages in your library, you can perform the following actions:
- View: View a preview of the message.
- Rename: Edit the name of the message.
- Edit: Edit the message type, folder, name, and content.
- Reveal: Move to the folder the message is in.
- Copy: Copy the message to your account or to a Group Library.
- Translate: Translate your message into other languages so that each respondent will see the survey in a language they are comfortable with.
- Delete: Delete the message from the library.
Warning: Deleting the source message in the library will remove the file from any survey or invitation that the message is being used in.