For those cases where you need to use a third-party mail system to distribute survey invitations but also need to track which response belongs to which recipient, Qualtrics can generate a list of unique, or “Personal”, survey links. These links are tied to specific survey recipients, and the names and any other uploaded Embedded Data will be included with the responses in the results.
When you generate Personal links, Qualtrics provides a spreadsheet that contains a row for each recipient including their name and their Personal survey link. Most mailing systems can accept such a spreadsheet and will have a mail merge capability to include each recipient’s survey link in their email.
This page discusses how to generate that list of Personal links for use in a third-party mail system.
Generating Personal Links
- Navigate to the Distributions module for your project and select the Personal Links tab.
Qtip: If you have not yet activated your survey, you may see something different when you visit the Distributions module. In this different view, you can click on the green Generate a trackable link for each contact option.
- Select Generate Links.
- Select the contact list you want to generate links for.
Qtip: If you are using Marketo to manage your contact lists, you can choose from these Marketo lists instead. Visit our page on Marketo Integrations for more information.
- Choose to send to the whole contact list, an individual contact, or a small sample of your contact list.
- Set a link expiration date (by default, links are valid for 60 days).
- Click Generate Links.
At this point, a spreadsheet will be downloaded to your computer. This spreadsheet will include the names of your contacts, their email addresses, and their Personal links. At any time, you can return to the Personal Links tab and download the spreadsheet again by clicking on the name of your generated list.
Managing Personal Links
Each time you generate new Personal links, you will get a row in your Personal Links tab marking the distribution and giving you various details and metrics.
There are six pieces of information presented here:
- Contacts: The name of contact list, sample, or individual you generated links for.
- Created Date: The day and time the links were generated.
- Link Expiration: The day and time all the links in the distribution will expire.
- Link: The number of links you generated.
- Surveys Started: The number of surveys that have been started from the links you generated.
- Surveys Finished: The number of surveys that have been finished from the links you generated.