What's on this page:IntroductionGetting StartedGenerating an API TokenDownloading the Qualtrics Offline Surveys AppEntering Your Qualtrics CredentialsDownloading Surveys
Qualtrics Offline Surveys is a new application available for iOS and Android that allows you to administer surveys on your mobile device without an internet connection. Responses can be collected in the field on your mobile device and then uploaded back into Qualtrics as soon as you have an internet connection.
This app is available for iPad, iPhone, and Android tablets and smartphones that run Android 4.0 and later.
Once Qualtrics Offline Surveys has been enabled for your account, there are a couple of steps you’ll need to go through to set up the app on your device:
- Generate an API token.
- Download the app (free).
- Enter your account credentials.
You should also be sure your device is compatible with the app. Because of the sensitive nature of the data recorded on the app, we require that your device
- runs iOS 6 or greater or Android 4.04 or greater
- has either the App Store or Google Play store installed
- is not jailbroken.
Generating an API Token
- Click the silhouette in the upper right corner of your account and choose Account Settings.
- Click Qualtrics IDs.
- If there is no API token, click Generate to receive a token.
Warning: If there is already an API token listed for you, do not generate another one.
Downloading the Qualtrics Offline Surveys App
- Go to the iTunes App Store if you have an iPad or iPhone, or go to the Google Play Store if you have an Android device.
- Search for “Qualtrics” and download the Qualtrics Offline Surveys app.
You can also download the Qualtrics Offline Surveys app to your device using these links:
Entering Your Qualtrics Credentials
Single Sign-On (SSO) Login
- Log in to your Qualtrics account on a computer.
- Click the silhouette in top right of the screen and select Account Settings.
- Look at the account access log and copy your full username (if your username does not end with a “#” symbol followed by your organization name, then you don’t have SSO).
- In the Offline Surveys app on your device, tap the grey cog symbol to open the Settings section.
- Triple tap on the user silhouette to view hidden fields.
- Enter your complete username (make sure it includes the “#” symbol followed by your Organization ID; i.e., MyUsername#qualtrics).
- Leave the Password and Datacenter fields blank and enter the API token you generated online. (We recommend emailing the token to your device so you can copy and paste it into the field. Make sure there are no spaces before or after the token.)
- If desired, set a Device Identifier name.
Qtip: The Device Identifier field is useful for knowing which devices recorded which responses. This can be updated at any time by clicking the cog in the top right corner, but it will only affect the Device Identifier for future responses. This field is also useful if one device will be used by many administrators. Each admin can change the identifier to their name so responses can be better organized. After responses are uploaded, the Device Identifier will appear in the Respondent column in your Qualtrics account.
- Tap Save.
Some accounts have difficulty logging in due to the number of surveys in the account. If your account has over 100 surveys, you are at risk. You’ll typically see an error message stating, “API Error: We were unable to retrieve data from our servers. Please ensure that you have a good internet connection and correct account permissions.”
To mitigate this issue, many organizations create “Offline User” accounts that are used strictly for offline surveys. By collaborating the surveys to these accounts, they can easily be used to collect responses that filter into the original account.
- In the Offline Surveys app, tap on the survey you wish to download (you can search for specific surveys by using the search box at the top of the screen).
- Tap Download Survey.
Qtip: Surveys are complex! With over 100 question types and countless variations of logic, not all surveys are yet compatible in the new offline format. When downloading, you will see a notice that lists the questions or features that are currently not compatible. Because the app is always being improved, we recommend that you check back often and download the latest update from the App Store or Google Play Store. Once the Qualtrics Offline Surveys app has been enabled for your license, you’ll also have access to the Mobile Compatibility Advisor, which will alert you to any questions in the survey editor that aren’t compatible.
- To update your survey if you make any changes online, simply click Refresh on the top left of the survey overview window (note that you must be connected to the internet to refresh to the latest version of your survey).
You can see your downloaded surveys above the rest of your surveys in the Downloaded section on the home screen.