What's on this page:IntroductionSetting Up Question RandomizationRandomization OptionsAdvanced RandomizationRandomization Data
Sometimes you need to randomize the order of questions in a block. With Question Randomization, you can do just that—and so much more. Some common options include
- Displaying all the questions in a random order
- Displaying a set number of questions from a larger group
- Locking certain questions in a specific position
- Hiding specific questions.
Setting Up Question Randomization
- Click Block Options for the block you want to randomize and select Question Randomization.
- Select the randomization option you would like to use.
- Click Save.
There are four main randomization options:
- No Randomization: Display your questions in the order they appear in your survey editor.
- Randomize the order of all questions: Present all of the questions in the block in random order.
- Present only __ of total questions: Specify the number of choices (out of the total) to have randomly displayed in the survey (2 of 4, 3 of 7, etc.).
- Advanced Randomization: Access even more randomization options.
Advanced Randomization has similar options to Randomize Order and Present Only, with additional and more sophisticated settings.
- Fixed Display Order: Shows the fixed questions in the block and where the randomized subsets fall in the order of questions. You can rearrange the choice order with the up/down arrow buttons and move choices in or out of the randomization options using the left/right arrow buttons.
Qtip: Questions with no text (such as graphics) will still appear in the Fixed Display Order, but they will appear as empty lines. You can address this by adding question labels.
- Randomize Questions: Randomizes the order of all questions moved into the Randomize Questions box.
- Randomize Subset: Randomly displays a specified number of questions moved into the Randomize Subset box (2 of 4, 3 of 7, etc.).
- Undisplayed Items: Hides questions you don’t want displayed at all.
- Questions per Page: Determines the number of questions that will be displayed on each page (this will override any page breaks on the block).
You can view the order in which your questions were displayed to respondents by enabling Export Randomized Viewing Order before downloading your data. The display order will appear in the last column of your data file and will be separated by a bar “|” if multiple questions were seen.
To download randomization data
- Navigate to the Data and Analysis module.
- Select Export Data.
- Choose the file type you would like to download.
- Click the blue colored More Options text.
- Select the Export Randomized Viewing Order checkbox.
- Click the green Download button.