Strategies for User Groups | XM Community
Question

Strategies for User Groups

• 28 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Quick question for the community. User Groups are generally used to to allow two or more users to share projects, graphics, files, and messages in Libraries. I'm looking to the community (particularly Brand Admins for enterprise sized companies) for insight into how your leveraging User Groups across the company.

We’re trying to be thoughtful about how we leverage them and are not sure if we want to match groups to the organizational divisions (which we have being automatically created based on an LDAP value that is passed during authetication) or there is a different approach that might work better. Some other thoughts/ideas are using functional areas (research, training, etc.) or maybe focus on topics like specific types of surveys/content – training feedback, digital usability, event feedback, etc. such that individual users who may focus on 1 or more areas of feedback get access to the group and all the pre-built/approved questions/content, etc.

Any best practices out there based on your experience would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
One thing to keep in mind is that if you are using Dashboards, Dashboard roles are currently set per project. You can set it in the project based on an attribute from LDAP/SSO. This may or may not be relevant but if you want different users with different views in dashboards having some attribute to set that up automatically in a dashboard is useful.

We don't have many users creating projects but we are expanding our dashboards across the enterprise. I was surprised that this wasn't done based on user groups.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Great question! One I am going to follow as others provide some suggestions.

I am the brand admin and at my organization we assign people into groups based on what department or line of business they belong to. However, I am not sure that is best approach but I can't find a better one. It also doesn't help that Qualtrics adoption in my organization is rather low.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
@MattBroffman_Orlando how does that (setting Dashboard roles based on an attribute from LDAP/SSO) work if you need to have access to multiple dashboards across different lines of business (e.g. Marketing, Sales, HR, etc.)? Also, are User Groups connected to Dashboard roles?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
The problem is user groups are not tied to dashboard roles (from what I can tell). The good news is dashboard roles are shared across projects but you need to assign the dashboards in each project to the role. So for example:
- Create a dashboard role called "Marketing" based on the attribute Division = Marketing and set it to update automatically.
- In each project add the marketing dashboard to that role

So each time you create a dashboard you can go in and add the right roles.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
User Groups and Dashboard Roles are different. Qualtrics made this overly complicated as it evolved to meet one need or another.

User Groups have access to Libraries/Directories and _projects_ can be easily assigned to a group. However Dashboard Roles is how you share dashboards and tickets. You can use attribute data to assign [a] Dashboard Role(s), but not User Groups.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
That's helpful. Thanks to you both. Hopefully we'll get some good thoughts / ideas from others in the community on this.

Leave a Reply