Two groups of questions, randomised within a block, one from group A, one from group B | XM Community
Solved

Two groups of questions, randomised within a block, one from group A, one from group B

• 18 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have two groups of questions A and B. I want to ask one question in turn from each group ABABA. However, I want the questions to be randomised within the groups- drawing one question randomly from group A, then one randomly from group B, then one from group A etc.

Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by AmaraW 24 August 2021, 23:57

View original

7 replies

@AcademicNeil I suppose using randomizer inside randomizer in survey flow you can try.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks Rock for the suggestion. Could you perhaps give a little more detail please? When I use the randomizer in the survey flow, it seems to randomly select a whole block rather than one random question from a block.

I've been messing around to see what I can do. The best I've got so far is
Survey flow - block A, block B, block A, block B
and then within block randomiser/ present only 1 of the total questions.

However, while this does give me ABAB, the randomised question could be repeated, i.e. you could have AQ1, BQ5, AQ1, BQ3, which is not what I want. I want each question to be asked only once.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
@AcademicNeil - Did you end up finding a response to this query? I'm looking to solve a similar problem as well.

Thanks a lot,
Jonty
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Jonty,

I'm afraid not. If you find a solution, please post it here.

AcademicNeil I am working on a similar problem. I have three categories of images and want to randomly present them from each category without repetition. The closest I can get so far is to present each block randomly, with the order of blocks random.
Did you find a solution?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi all,

No, I never did find a solution to what seems to be a relatively straightforward experimental design task. I tried out Psychopy recently, and I have to say, it was so much quicker and easier to use. I didn't actually try and sort out this randomiser problem in Psychopy, but my guess is it would be a bit easier on that platform. Good luck everyone!

Badge +48

Hi PaulBretherton! If you haven’t already, we’d recommend reviewing this support page on embedded data, this support page on randomizers, and this support page on branch logic to help you get started. If you still have questions after reviewing the linked support pages, you'll want to reach out to the  Support team, as they are best equipped to help answer questions and provide support! 😃

Leave a Reply