IntroductionWhile the default end-of-survey experience can be easily changed in Survey Options, sometimes you’ll want a different experience for different participants. For instance, if a participant indicates they don’t purchase your product, you might want to end the survey early and display a message letting them know they didn’t qualify. With the End of Survey element in the Survey Flow, you can create custom ending points, each with their own unique behavior. For setting default End of Survey behavior, refer to our Survey Termination tutorial. For information on creating custom ending points for different participants, read on.
Adding an End of Survey ElementEnd of Survey elements are created and modified within the Survey Flow. If you aren’t yet familiar with this feature, consider reviewing our Survey Flow tutorial first.
To create an End of Survey element:
- In the Edit Survey tab, click the Survey Flow icon.
- Anywhere within your Survey Flow, click Add a New Element Here or Add Below.
- Select the End of Survey element.
- If not already in the appropriate position, hold the Move button on the End of Survey element, and drag it to the location where you would like to terminate participants.
Qtip: If using the End of Survey element to screen out participants, place the End of Survey element in a Branch directly after the Block where you would like to screen them out. For more information on using Branches, refer to our Branch Logic tutorial.
- Optionally, select Customize to change the end experience for participants who leave the survey at this point.
Customizing Options for End of Survey ElementWhen you click the Customize button on your End of Survey element, you will see a list of options for changing the end experience for participants who leave the survey at this point.
The following options are available:
- Default end of survey message: With this selected, participants will see a generic thank you message when they finish the survey.
- Redirect to single response report: Rather than showing a generic thank you message, you can display a report showing the respondent their answers on graphs and tables.
- End of survey message from the Library: Rather than showing a generic thank you message, you can choose a custom message to display at the end of the survey. To learn how to create a custom end of survey message, refer to the Survey Termination tutorial.
- Redirect to a URL: This option automatically sends the participant to another website upon completion of the survey.
Example: When working with a third-party sample provider, often they will have you redirect participants back to their website at the end of the survey.
- Send additional thank you email from the library: If your respondent is coming from a Panel in Qualtrics, you can choose a custom thank you email to be sent automatically at the end of the survey. See our End of Survey tutorial for more information on how to create a custom thank you email.
- Do not increment quota counts: Ignore this response when tallying quotas. For example, if a participant is screened out of your survey for being too young, you wouldn’t want to count them towards your gender quota.
- Show Response Summary: Show the participants an overview of the survey with answers selected. This gives respondents the option to download the individual response as a PDF.
- Do NOT record any personal information and remove from panel association (not recommended): Scrub the response of identifying information such as the IP address before saving it in the results. This is helpful if you need to send your survey to a panel so that you know who is participating, but if you also need to keep individual responses anonymous.
- Do NOT record survey response (not recommended): Does not save responses from participants who exit the survey at this point. This might be useful if you are screening the participant out of the survey and don’t want to collect any response information.
- Screen-out Response: Clicking this allows you to label and tally responses exiting the survey at this point, without having to save those responses. In Reporting Beta, you’ll be able to create a table that provides a summary of this screen-out data. This feature is not available for all users — check with your account administrator for more information.
Qtip: What happens if your End of Survey element settings are different than the termination settings you selected in Survey Options? If the participant exits the survey at your End of Survey element, those settings will take precedence over Survey Options settings.