About Screen Capture
The Screen Capture question allows respondents to attach a screenshot of the site they are viewing when taking a survey through Website Feedback.
The Screen Capture question type allows respondents to illustrate where on the site they’re referring to and gives the ability for the respondent to highlight and blackout certain parts of their image. This makes it possible to see exactly what your website visitors are seeing when they give feedback on the site.
Implementing the Screen Capture Question
To implement the Screen Capture, you will need to make sure that both the survey and Intercept are set up correctly.
First, you’ll add the question directly to your survey.
- Add a new question to the survey you are creating in the Survey Platform by clicking the dropdown arrow next to Create a New Question.
- Change the question type to Screen Capture.
- Change the question text.
Creative & Intercept Set-Up
Next, in your Website Feedback project, make sure your Creative and Intercept are set up to display the survey correctly for respondents. There are two options for correctly setting up an Intercept that uses the Screen Capture question:
- Use a Creative with an Embedded Target on it. That way, the survey is embedded on the Intercept and visible to visitors right away.
- Or, if using a Creative with a regular Target, set the Intercept’s Target to open in an Embedded Window. This can be done inside the Intercept by accessing an Action Set’s Advanced Options and selecting Open Target in an Embedded Window.
These requirements are necessary as the respondent must be able to take the survey directly on the webpage where we will be capturing the screen. If the survey is opened in a new window, the survey would not be able to capture the screen of the original webpage.
The Respondent’s Experience
Now, let’s take a look at how your responders will interact with the Screen Capture question when they are taking your survey.
- In the survey, the Screen Capture question will prompt respondents to Capture Screen.
- After clicking on the Capture Screen button, a screenshot of the current webpage they are viewing will appear in a window.
- Respondents have the ability to block out certain content in their screenshot, such as sensitive information, using the black Blackout icon by moving the box and dragging it to the correct size, or highlighting certain aspects of the screenshot by using the yellow highlight icon.
- Once the screenshot has been modified to the respondent’s satisfaction, they can click the Save button.
- The respondent can view or annotate their screenshot by clicking on the image preview. They can also remove and resubmit the screenshot by clicking on the X within the preview.
- Once the respondent is satisfied with the screen capture, they can submit the survey.
Viewing Captured Images
Now that you have added the Screen Capture question to your survey and collected some responses, it’s time to view the images your respondents attached. To do so, navigate to your survey project in the Projects page.
Viewing Response Reports
View an individual response report for individual responses and view the images on these reports.
- Go to the Data & Analysis tab.
- Click the dropdown arrow in the Actions column on the far-right and select View Response.
- On the response report, scroll to the Screen Capture question, and view the image. Click the link to see the image in a larger window.
Downloading Individual Screenshots from the Data & Analysis tab
Create a column in your Data & Analysis tab populated with image links.
- Select the Tools menu, and hover over Choose Columns.
- Find the Screen Capture question from the list, hover over it, and select ID.
- Now, you’ll have a new column link in your table. Click on these links to download the image file.
Exporting All Screenshots
This will give you a zipped folder named after the question number (e.g., Q1). Inside the zipped folder, each image is named after the Response ID of the person who took it. You can download the Response IDs as reference to CSV or TSV.
Exporting Images from the Results Section
It is also possible to quickly export all image files at once from the survey’s report or create a thumbnail column in a report table.
- Navigate to the Results section of the Reports tab.
- From the questions pane on the left side of the screen, select the Screen Capture question.
- A table will appear listing each image included. Click the Download all files button to download a .zip file containing each image you have collected.
- Alternatively, add a thumbnail column to this table by adding an additional column and choosing the Thumbnail option found under your Screen Capture question. Once the column has been added, click on the thumbnail images found in the column to view the image at full screen.
Analyzing Your Screen Capture Data
In addition to the methods listed above that let you view the screenshot, you can build a table or export a CSV of Screen Capture data. This data analysis functions exactly the same as it does for the File Upload question.