What's on this page:IntroductionBuilding Your CreativesSetting Up Your InterceptConnecting Your PopUnder
With “opt-in site-exit” surveys, you invite your visitors to take a survey while they are on your site but only present the survey once the visitor leaves your website or closes the page.
Site-exit surveys in general do not necessitate an “opt-in” portion and can be accomplished with a simple PopUnder Creative. With PopUnders, a survey invitation is triggered and hides behind the web page until the visitor ultimately exits the site. Once they’ve exited, the survey invitation window comes forward. However, in recent years, major browsers have begun preventing this behavior in the same vein as PopUp blocking.
By including the “opt-in” portion, you can circumvent any blocking. When using this initial Creative, the visitor is voluntarily accepting the PopUnder window, and thus bypassing any blocking behavior from the browser. Using this opt-in for site-exit surveys is widely regarded as a best practice for collecting site satisfaction scores and other information from a representative audience.
Setting up an opt-in site-exit survey involves three main steps:
- Building two creatives, one that invites visitors to take your survey and one that is the actual PopUnder survey.
- Setting up an intercept that shows the invitation Creative.
- Linking your PopUnder Creative to the Intercept Target.
Building Your Creatives
- Build a Creative to display your survey invitation. This is typically built as a PopOver, but other Creatives such as Sliders and InfoBars may be used as well.
Qtip: Be sure to publish your Creative.
- Build a PopUnder Creative
Qtip: We recommend including a note on your Creative explaining that the window must be left open and that your survey will appear there. Some version of the following text is usually appropriate: Thanks for participating in our survey. Please leave this window open and a survey will appear in it’s place after your visit.
- For the PopUnder, go to the Change Options page and enable the following options: Pop forward on site exit and Show Target on pop forward.
Qtip: You may see a yellow warning message about PopUnders and Chrome. This warning message is not relevant to this setup and refers to the lone use of PopUnder Creatives (without the opt-in portion).
Setting Up Your Intercept
- Create an Intercept and set up your display conditions at the intercept and/or action set level, whichever is appropriate for your design. These conditions will determine which visitors qualify for the initial invitation.
- Select the initial Creative that invites users to take the survey.
- Select the Target, which will be the survey that will ultimately display in the PopUnder window.