Roles are used to control access to the dashboards and org hierarchies. Roles are the best way to manage permissions for large groups of participants. Set up a role and assign multiple participants to it to save time by not assigning permissions one by one.
Creating a Role
There are various permissions that can be enabled or disabled for a role. These permissions are the exact same ones that can be set on an individual level. For further information and details on what each permission does, visit the Permissions section of the Participant Information Window support page.
You can also change participant permissions on an individual level by clicking on a participant’s name or email. This will then open the participant information window where you can make changes on an individual level.
Permissions Interactions Between Multiple Roles
- If a participant is assigned to multiple roles, and both those roles restrict data by metadata, then the participant will be given the most lenient access. For example, if one role allows them to see the US office’s data, while the other role allows them to see the Australian office’s data, they will see both the US and Australian offices’ data.
Qtip: However, if the participant is assigned to multiple roles, and one role restricts data, but another has View All Data set, the data will not be restricted. Qualtrics will apply the more liberal set of data restrictions.
- If a participant is assigned to two roles that restrict data, one with restrictions based on metadata and one with restrictions based on org hierarchy, then the metadata restriction will be ignored and only the org hierarchy restriction will be observed.
Adding & Removing Participants
To add participants to a role, follow the steps below.
- Select Add Participants.
- Choose to Add Individuals or Add a Group.
- If you chose Add Individuals, search for the individual using their name or email address and select the participant from the list. Note that you can select multiple people.
- If you chose Add a Group, you will need to set the conditions under which participants will be added to a role. Your conditions can be based off of metadata, email address, or the org hierarchy manager.
Qtip: You can add multiple conditions by using the plus (+) and minus (–) signs on the right.
- Select Add Participants again.
To remove participants from a role, hover over the individual and select the X on the right-hand side.
- Export Participants: This will export all of the participants in the selected role to a CSV file. The export will contain each participant’s name and email.
- Delete Role: This will delete the selected role and remove it from any participant that it was applied to.
Searching a Role
If your role contains many participants, you can use the Search bar above a role to search for a participant within the role. You will only be able to search by the participant’s name or email.