About Participant Import Automation
With Employee Lifecycle projects, you can automate the addition of participants to the project from the Global Employee Directory. This is helpful when you are running an ongoing program. For example, while onboarding, you can upload new employees to the directory and expect that they will be uploaded to your onboarding Lifecycle project right away.
Setting Up a Participant Import Automation
- Go to your Employee Lifecycle’s Participants tab.
- Click Add participants.
- Click Set up participant automation.
- Click the dropdown to determine the conditions under which participants are added to the project. You will first select participant metadata, then define the value(s) this metadata should or should not have in order to include participants.
Qtip: You must add at least one condition.Qtip: See the Setting Participant Automation Conditions section below for more information on creating automation conditions.
- Choose the recurring days of the week you’d like this automation to run.
- Choose the time of day you’d like the automation to run.
- Specify the timezone.
- You have two options for closing out:
- Just click Save Automation to save your criteria without enabling the automation.
- Select the Activate Automation checkbox, then click Save Automation to immediately activate your automation.
Setting Participant Import Conditions
In the previous section, you set the conditions under which participants are added to the project from the directory. Depending on the field type of the metadata you use in your conditions, you can set conditions based on different operators.
You can add more than one condition participants must meet by clicking the plus sign ( + ) next to a condition. Click the minus sign ( – ) next to a condition to remove it. These conditions are evaluated cumulatively, meaning they are always joined by an implied “and.” (E.g., Condition one AND condition two must be met for a directory member to be uploaded to the participant list.)
For date fields, you can choose to import people whose date metadata value falls More Than, Less Than, or Exactly X amount of days before or after today. To import participants within a specific time window, you’ll need to use 2 condition sets to “sandwich” the time frame you want to import. Here we’ll walk you through setting up those conditions.
- Enter the name of the metadata field, and choose the field format. Make sure the format is date.
- Choose the date format. You can choose one of the following:
- Choose if the date needs to be More Than, Less Than, or Exactly the number of days specified.
- Enter the first bound of your condition.
- Choose if the condition is related to the number of days after today or days before today.
- Click the three dots and then Insert condition below to add another condition.
- Choose the same field and field format as you did for your first condition.
- Choose the opposite condition from the one you picked in step 3.
Example: Since we used More Than in our first condition, we’ll use Less Than for the second condition.
- Enter the second bound of your condition.
- Choose the same relation as you did in step 5.
Example: Let’s say you want to import all participants from your Employee Directory who started working at your company within the last two weeks. For your automation, you will have two conditions. The first condition is to import all participants with a StartDate that is Less Than 14 days after today. The second is to import all participants with a StartDate More Than 1 days after today. These two conditions create the upper and lower bounds of our import conditions, meaning that only employees with a StartDate within the last two weeks will be imported.
Choose values that are Greater than or Less than criteria.
Choose values that are Equal to, Not Equal to, In, and Not In criteria.
Example: “Sales” is in “Sales, Marketing, Engineering.” Choosing Text “In” Sales, Marketing, Engineering would include fields that have Sales or Marketing or Engineering. Thus, “In” allows you to list several terms, decreasing the number of conditions you have to add.
Managing Past Participant Automations
Participant Automations you made in the past will be listed at the top of the Participants section of the Participants tab. Here, you can edit, delete, activate, or deactivate the automation.
- Edit Automation: Edit the automation, changing the date and time or participant conditions.
- Delete Automation: Delete the automation permanently.
- Run Automation: Run the automation manually, regardless of whether the current date and time matches your criteria. If the automation’s Active, the next scheduled automation will still run even if you run a manual one.
- Status: Change the status of the automation. If Active, it will run automatically on the dates and times selected. If Inactive, it will not run on the dates and times selected, unless you manually run it, or reactivate it.