Working in Site Intercept, you will come across three key statistics – Page Views, Impressions, and Clicks. In this tutorial, you’ll learn how Site Intercept counts each of these statistics, where you can locate statistical data within the product, and how you can use that data to measure Intercept effectiveness.
The Page View metric is tracked and incremented every time a visitor views a page containing the Site Intercept code. When the page loads, the Site Intercept code sends a request to our servers to see which, if any, Creatives should be shown. Our Page Views metric will line up with your recorded number of page views for pages containing Site Intercept code.
If you are not running any Intercepts at the moment, you can save on your Page Views by deactivating the Zone. For help deactivating a Zone, check out our Manage Zones support page.
The Impression metric is incremented every time a Creative is shown to a visitor. This is fairly straightforward and allows you to ultimately calculate a click-through rate. However, a few Creative types have unique display behaviors with their own special definitions for an impression.
- Website Redirect: An impression is counted every time a website visitor is redirected.
- PopUnder: An impression is counted for each visitor that interacts with the window, by either closing it or taking action. PopUnders that were generated behind the current window but then automatically closed before the visitor saw them are not counted as impressions.
The Click metric is incremented every time the Target within a Creative is loaded. Dividing the number of clicks by the number of impressions will give you the number of users that click on your Target out of the total users that viewed the creative which is known as the click-through rate. Click-Through rates can offer powerful insights about the effectiveness of your Creatives and they are commonly used to measure the success of online advertising campaigns. The following scenarios have special definitions for clicks.
- Embedded Target: Rather than the visitor clicking a link to open your Target, you may have Creatives that display the Target (usually a survey) directly within itself. In this case, a click is counted every time the Creative is loaded.
- Embedded Target in a Slider Creative: When using a Slider Creative with an Embedded Target and the Visible Control option, both a click and an impression will be incremented when a visitor pulls the slider out. In this scenario, clicks and impressions should be the same.
- Embedded Target on a PopOver with a “Display After x seconds” setting: By default, a click will be incremented as soon as the page loads if a value for “Display After” has been placed on a PopOver, while an impression will not be incremented until the PopOver appears. This can lead to a higher value for clicks than impressions if visitors leave the site before the PopOver appears. To prevent clicks from being incremented as soon as the page loads, deselect the “Prebuild PopOver” option in the creative’s Change Options.
- Website Redirect: With the Website Redirect Creative, the Target is loaded automatically each time the Creative is shown. In this case, a click is counted every time the creative is loaded.
Statistics may be viewed for Creatives, Intercepts, or for Zones. You can view statistics by clicking View Stats in any of these sections. Administrators can even view statistics for the whole organization by going to the Summary page in the Administration section.