Breakdown Bars allow you to look at how your answer choices or field values for a given data source compare to each other as components of a whole. The possible answer choice options are lined up next to each other on a bar, and each option takes up a width of space proportional to how many respondents selected or were assigned the value.
There are three main customization areas for Breakdown Bar visualizations. These are found in the visualization Editing Pane, located to the far right.
You have two size options for labels: large and small. Large labels are always placed above small labels, and either size can display any combination of three options:
- Category name: The answer choice text or field value name.
- Percent: The percentage of respondents who selected or were assigned the value.
- Response count: The number of respondents who selected or were assigned the value.
By default, the large label has Percent enabled and the small label has Category name enabled, but you can change these to whatever combination is best for you.
You have a variety of options concerning the category names (or “legend values”), including the following:
- Change the legend value text by clicking directly into the textbox for the name and entering the new name.
- Adjust the color of the option by clicking directly on the color box to the left of the value and selecting a new color.
- Change the order the values appear in the visualization by clicking to the left of a value and dragging it to its desired position.
- Hide values from the visualization by deselecting the checkbox to the left of the value.
By default, when you hide values from your Breakdown Bar, those values still contribute to the percentages displayed for each option remaining in the visualization.
You can choose exclude these hidden values by switching the Include hidden groups in percents option to No.