About Creating Questions
Once you’ve created your survey, you’re ready to start building. This page outlines how to add, delete, copy, and edit multiple questions at once in the Survey tab.
How to Add New Questions
- Click Create a New Question.
Qtip: Questions are numbered in the order they are created, not the order they appear in the survey. You can renumber your questions by using the Auto-Number Questions feature.
- If desired, change the question type by clicking the green dropdown labeled Change Question Type and then select your desired question type.
- Click on any text to begin editing your question or choices.
To add another question, you can hover over an existing question and click the green plus (+) buttons (either above or below the existing question), or you can select Create a New Question again.
If you no longer need a question, it can be deleted. A deleted question will be stored in your Trash at the bottom of the Survey tab screen until permanently deleted.
To delete a question
To undelete a question
- Click Trash/Unused Questions located at the bottom of your survey.
- Select the question you would like to undelete.
- Click Restore.
Permanently deleting a question
If you would like to permanently remove a question from your trash, select the question and then click Permanently Delete. To finalize the deletion, refresh your account. To permanently delete all questions from your trash at once, select Empty Trash.
Editing Multiple Questions
Once you have selected multiple questions in your survey, a new menu will appear allowing you to delete, copy, and move questions in addition to other options.
You have three ways to select multiple questions:
- Select the checkboxes of the questions you want to group
- Hold Ctrl and click the questions you want to group
- Click the first question you want to select, hold Shift, and then click the last question you want to select. This will select both the questions you clicked and all the questions in between.
Once you have selected multiple questions, a list of group actions will appear to the right of the questions.
- Send to Trash: Delete selected questions. Deleted questions will be stored in your Trash until permanently deleted.
- Copy: Copy all selected questions at once. Copied questions are placed below the currently selected questions.
- Group: Pull questions that are spread out across the survey into one location. Grouped questions are pulled to the location of the last selected question.
- Move to a New Block: Moves selected questions into a newly created block placed at the end of the survey.
- Move: Relocate all selected questions to a designated area in the survey.
- Validation: Enable Force Response on all selected questions.
If you already have the question you need in another survey, you can save time by adding that question to your survey rather than re-creating it. You can also copy pre-built questions from the Qualtrics Library.
To copy a question from your current survey
To copy a question from a previous survey
- Click Import Questions From.
- Select My Surveys to access your other surveys currently in your account.
Qtip: You’ll also have access to your Personal Library (which holds any surveys you’ve saved to your library), the Qualtrics Library, and possibly other libraries within your organization.
- Select the survey you want to copy the question(s) from.
- Click the question(s) you would like to copy and click Import Question.
Qtip: If you select Keep Export Tags on the bottom-left, you can keep the imported question number as the original question’s. If the question is Q1 in the original survey, it will be Q1 when you import it. However, if you deselect this option, the imported question will increment. So if you already have 10 questions on your survey and import one more with Keep Export Tags deselected, it will become Q11 regardless.
To copy a question from the Qualtrics Library
The Qualtrics library comes equipped with all kinds of helpful, prebuilt content. To learn more about adding questions from the Qualtrics Library and the questions available, see the Pre-Made Qualtrics Library Questions support page.
As you build your survey, you may find you need to change the order of your questions. Thankfully, moving questions around is easy, and can be done one-by-one, or with multiple selected at once. All of these methods allow you to move questions across blocks.
Moving One Question Up or Down One Space
This option allows you to move a question up or down one space at a time.
- Hover over the question you want to move.
- Use the gray arrows on the left to move the question up or down.
Moving One Question Across a Survey
This option allows you to move a question longer distances. This is useful if your question needs to move multiple spaces at once, or across a long survey.
- Select the question you want to move.
- Click Move in the editing pane to the right.
- The question will now be highlighted in blue. Move your mouse to the part of the survey where you want the question to be.
- Once your question is positioned, click on it to place it in that spot.
Moving Multiple Questions
This option lets you move multiple questions at once. This option allows you to move questions as far across the survey as you need.
- Select the questions you want to move.
- Click Move in the editing pane to the right.
- The questions will now be highlighted in blue. Move your mouse to the part of the survey where you want the questions to be.
- Once your questions are positioned, click on them to place them in that spot.