Click the blue list next to any selected answer choice, statement, or scale point to see a list of advanced customization options.
Advanced Customization Options
- Allow Text Entry: Adds a text entry box, so respondents can type in an “other” category or specify a reason for their selection. If selected, you can also validate that text entry response.
- Text Entry Validation: Only available to a choice if Allow Text Entry has been applied. Pointing to it provides the standard text entry validation options of Force Response, Valid Email Address, Valid Phone Number, Valid US State, Valid US Zip Code, Valid Date, Numerical Value, and Text Only (Non-numeric).
- Rich Text Editor: Allows you to customize your text with color, different font sizes, and other advanced style options. See the Rich Text Editor page for more detail.
- Insert Graphic: Inserts an image into your answer choice. Images can be pulled from your graphics library, a file from your computer, or from the Internet.
- Exclude From Analysis: Omits a choice from your reporting so that its value does not affect your mean or other statistics. This is useful for choices such as “Not Applicable,” “Don’t Know,” or “None of the Above.”
- Make Answer Exclusive: Only available to Multiple Select style questions. Prevents the respondent from having this answer choice selected at the same time as other choices. This is useful for choices such as “Not Applicable,” “Don’t Know,” or “None of the Above.”
- Insert Piped Text: Allows you to pipe text into your choice from another question, a panel field, an embedded data field, or even a loop and merge field. See the Piped Text page for more detail.
- Add Display Logic: Allows you to set a choice to be displayed only if certain conditions are met. See the Display Logic On Answer Choices page for more detail.
- Assign to Group: Allows you to create headings for any choices and group them together. Point to it, type a group name into the “New Group” text field and press Enter. The answer choice is then assigned to that group. Any existing groups are available in the menu next to the “None” option.
- Parent Group Options: Only available if a choice is assigned to a group. Point to it to get options for hiding the group title, moving the group and its options up or down among other choices, setting choices in group to single or multiple answer, randomizing the group choices, or removing the group altogether (does not remove the choices in the group). These options can also be found by clicking the group name and then clicking the blue arrow.
- Move Up: Move the answer choice up one spot in the list.
- Move Down: Move the answer choice down one spot in the list.
- Remove Choice: Delete the answer choice. This can also be done by clicking to edit the choice, deleting all text in the choice, and then pressing Backspace (or Delete) on keyboard one extra time. If there is data in the survey, you will be prompted to confirm your deletion.
- Some of these options will vary depending on the type and format of question you are working with.
- If you’ve included both text and an image, you can indicate the position of the text in relation to the picture with the “Text Position” option.
- You can move or remove a choice from your list by using the Move Up, Move Down, and Remove Choice options.