About Question Options
For each question in a survey, you can enable options that enhance your survey design, such as randomizing answer choices, hiding the question based on certain conditions, adding default choices, and more. To access the full list of question options, either right-click on the question or select the gray gear icon to the left of any question.
Available Question Options
- Add Display Logic: Hide or display questions in your survey based on answers provided to previous questions, or other survey and respondent information.
- Carry Forward Choices: Pull in the answer choices, statements, or scale points from a previous question in your survey, for use in another question.
- Add Skip Logic: Skip respondents ahead to another point in the survey (or to the end) depending on how they answer the question.
Warning: Custom coding features are provided as-is and may require programming knowledge to implement. Our support team does not offer assistance or consultation on custom coding. You can always try asking our community of dedicated users instead. If you’d like to know more about our custom coding services, please contact your Qualtrics Account Executive.
- Add Default Choices: Choose a default answer that will be preselected when the respondent starts the survey.
- Add Note: Add comments to questions, either for your own benefit, or for other collaborators to see. These notes will not be displayed on the survey itself.
- Scoring: Add scoring to a question. If a question cannot be scored, this option will not appear.
- Recode Values: Use this option to change the default numeric values or variable names for your answer choices. The coding you set here will be reflected in your reports and raw data, and is used to calculate all statistics. Not all question types can be recoded, so this option will not appear if it’s not one of the compatible types.
- Randomization: Set your choices to display in a random order.
- Add Choice Group: Group answer choices together. Only available for multiple choice and matrix table questions.
Adding & Removing Notes
If you’ve invited colleagues to collaborate on a survey with you, notes can be a good way to leave feedback and questions for each other while editing the survey.
Any notes you add to the survey are only visible to other people who can edit the survey. Respondents and those previewing the survey will not see these notes.
- Click on the question you wish to add a note to.
- Click the gear and select Add Note.
- Or, you can navigate to Add Note on the bottom right of the editing pane.
- Type your note into the field.
- Click Post to add the comment. You can also press Enter or Return on your keyboard.
Once the note is added, the first and last name of your account will be added next to it so collaborators can tell who left the note. There will also be a timestamp in the
Deleting Notes, Hiding Notes, and Adding More Notes
- Click the grey X to delete the comment. You can only delete your own comments.
- Click Hide Discussion to collapse the comments and only show the last comment of the discussion. This option only hides the thread for you, not everyone editing the survey. You can click Show Discussion to reopen the thread.
Qtip: This option is best for when there’s a long thread of comments that makes scrolling through the editor cumbersome.
- Click Add a Comment to add an additional comment.