Roles are used to control access to the dashboards and org hierarchies. Roles are the best way to manage permissions for large groups of participants. Set up a role and assign multiple participants to it to save time by not assigning permissions one by one.
Creating a Role
There are various permissions that can be enabled or disabled for a role. These permissions are the exact same ones that can be set on an individual level. For further information and details on what each permission does, visit the Permissions section of the Participant Information Window support page.
You can also change participant permissions on an individual level by clicking on a participant’s name or email. This will then open the participant information window where you can make changes on an individual level.
Permissions Interactions Between Multiple Roles
- If a participant is assigned to multiple roles, and both those roles restrict data by metadata, then the participant will be given the most lenient access. For example, if one role allows them to see the US office’s data, while the other role allows them to see the Australian office’s data, they will see both the US and Australian offices’ data.
Qtip: However, if the participant is assigned to multiple roles, and one role restricts data, but another has View All Data set, the data will not be restricted. Qualtrics will apply the more liberal set of data restrictions.
- If a participant is assigned to two roles that restrict data, one with restrictions based on metadata and one with restrictions based on org hierarchy, then the metadata restriction will be ignored and only the org hierarchy restriction will be observed.
Adding & Removing Participants
To add participants to a role, follow the steps below.
- Select Add / Export.
- Choose to Add participants or Add participants using filters.
- If you chose Add participants, search for the individual using their name or email address and select the participant from the list. Note that you can select multiple people.
- If you chose Add participants using filters, you will need to set the conditions under which participants will be added to a role. Your conditions can be based off of metadata, email address, or the org hierarchy manager.
- Click Add.
To remove participants from a role, hover over the individual and select the trashcan icon on the right-hand side.
Adding Delegates to Roles
If you have added delegates to your Engagement project, you can use roles to quickly assign your delegates’ permissions in bulk.
- Navigate to the Roles section.
- Create a new role, or select an existing one.
- Click Add / Export.
- Select Add participants using filters.
- Choose Org Hierarchy Delegate.
- Select the hierarchy from your project that contains the delegates.
- Click Add. All delegates in the org hierarchy that was selected will be automatically added to the role.
- Click Add a dashboard and choose the dashboard that the delegates should have access to.
- Enable Restrict data.
- Using the dropdown menus, select Org Hierarchy, then the org hierarchy of interest, and then All results below their delegated position. This will restrict data based on their delegate position in the hierarchy and not their manager or direct report position.
After adding delegates to a role and granting them access to your dashboard, delegates will now have access to the dashboard of interest based on the delegated position in the org hierarchy.
- Rename: Rename your role by clicking on the pencil icon to the right of the role name.
- Delete: Clicking on the trashcan icon next to the role name will delete the selected role and remove it from any participant that it was applied to.
- Export participants: This will export all of the participants in the selected role to a CSV file. The export will contain each participant’s name and email.
Searching a Role
If your role contains many participants, you can use the Search bar above a role to search for a participant within the role. You will only be able to search by the participant’s name or email.
Roles Section Differences
Your Roles section may differ in appearance from what is described on our support pages for two reasons:
- Unique identifiers are not enabled in your brand, so your Lifecycle and Engagement projects don’t match the screenshots on this page.
- You have unique identifiers, but are customizing an Ad Hoc Employee Research project.
The functionality of the Roles section is exactly the same in the updated interface, but there are a few features that have been moved around. This section will go over key differences so that they’re easier to identify.
When you’ve selected a role, you can click Options to export participants in the role or to delete the role altogether.
Renaming a Role
Click directly on a role’s name to rename it.
Delete Users from a Role
Hover over a participant and click the X to remove them from a role. The X does not appear until you hover.