About Custom Metrics
Custom Metrics are created within the Dashboard Data module of the Settings of a Dashboard. Custom Metrics are equations which are created, by the user, using math symbols and the metrics of either a single Data Field or multiple Data Fields. This is important because you can create a single Custom Metric that can be used in a widget, which pulls in data from various Data Fields of the Settings of a single Dashboard.
Note that Custom Metrics are not project-wide; they will only be available in the dashboard where you created them and in copies of that dashboard.
Creating a Custom Metric
- Click on the Settings icon.
- Click on the Custom Metrics tab that is on the right side of the settings screen.
- Click Add Custom Metric.
- Click on the left text box to name your Custom Metric.
- Click on Construct Your Equation to begin to create the equation of your new Custom Metric.
- At this point you can begin to construct your equation. In most situations, you will want to begin with adding a metric. To do this, click on the blue button that says Add Metric.
- By default, a Count metric will automatically be added to your equation. If you wish to use a metric besides Count, click on Count to bring up the Metric Editing menu.
- In the Metric Editing menu, click on the Metric dropdown box to choose a different metric.
- If a metric is chosen that requires an additional field, be sure to choose the correct field that you want to be calculated in your new Custom Metric.
- Continue to construct the Custom Metric by clicking on the different mathematical symbols and metrics that are needed to create your desired equation.
Qtip: If you see a red triangle with a “!” inside of it, this means that the equation is currently invalid. Check to make sure you do not have unnecessary mathematical symbols or two metrics next to each other that are not separated by a mathematical symbol. Both of these instances could cause the equation to be invalid.
- Click Save when your equation is complete.
Adding a Custom Metric to a Widget
- Click the Edit Page button on the page where you want to add a Custom Metric to a widget.
- For a widget you want to add a Custom Metric to, enter the Widget Editor Menu in one of the following manners: either create a new widget or click on the Edit button of a pre-existing widget.
- When you are in the Widget Editor Menu, click the Add Metric button in the Metrics section.
- By default, the metric will be Count. Click on the Count metric.
- In the dropdown of the different metrics available, all Custom Metrics are located at the very bottom. Click on the Custom Metric you want to add to the widget.
- In place of Count, you will now see your Custom Metric. Custom Metrics have a “CUSTOM” tag in front of their name in the Widget Editor Menu.
Below is a list of widgets that have a Metrics field. If a widget has a Metrics field, you can add your Custom Metric to it.
Editing a Custom Metric
- Enable editing on your dashboard by selecting Edit Page.
- Enter the Widget Editor Menu where the Custom Metric you want to edit is located by selecting Edit on the widget.
- Click on the Custom Metric in the Metrics section of the Widget Editor Menu.
- In the first section named Source, the label of the metric can be renamed.
- In the second section named Options, you can change the format and the amount of decimal places used when the metric is displayed in the widget. The three formats are Number, Percent, and Currency.
- In the Filters section you can add a Filter.
Qtip: Please note that Custom Metric filters, much like regular metric filters, will override both page level filters and widget filters.
- In the Legend Values section of the Widget Editor Menu, you can choose if the metric is a bar or a line, if it is plotted on the primary or secondary axis, and change the Label Name.